• 1 cup – aahar or toovar dal
• 1/2 tsp – Haldi (turmeric powder)
• 1.5 tsp – salt or to taste
• 1 – unripe Mango
• 1 – onion, finely chopped
• 3 Cloves – garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds (sarson)
• 1 – dry Red Chilli
• A few Curry leaves
• 1 tbsp – Ghee or 2 tsp oil
- Wash and soak the dal for 1 hour
- Add 1.5 tsps salt and haldi. Keep on medium fire to boil till the dal is half cooked.
- Peel the mango. Cut into big pieces. Add to the half cooked dal.
- Cook till dal is tender and the mango pieces are cooked to a pulp. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add chopped onions and garlic, and fry till brown.
- Add red chillies and curry leaves. Add to the cooked dal.
- Aam dal should be watery in consistency. Serve with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Karuna