• 250g – Almonds
• 300g – Sugar
• 100g – pure kova (fresh kova without sugar)
• 1 tsp – Cardamom powder
• Pinch of Saffron
• 40g – pure Ghee
• 1/2 cup – Milk for grinding
- Soak dry almonds in boiling water (do not boil water with almonds) for 8-10 mins.
- Then, peel off the almond skin.
- Dry grind the entire quantity to powder form.
- Take small quantities of the powdered almonds and grind to thick paste by adding very small quantity of milk.
- Transfer the ground thick paste of almonds to a frying pan.
- Add 300g sugar to the thick paste.
- Add saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Mix well and heat gently at the same time stirring continuously till the entire mass becomes thick and does not stick to the sides of the pan.
- Take the pan away from the stove and add 100g pure kova and mix well.
- Allow it to gradually cool till the entire mass becomes thick.
- Keep stirring till it is almost lukewarm.
- Smear ghee on to a flat plate.
- Transfer the entire mass on to the plate and roll it with the help of a balon (Chapati roller) uniformly.
- When cool, cut into diamond-shaped burfies.
- This recipe makes approximately 40 pieces of pure almond kova burfies.
Recipe courtesy of Vidya Anand