• 6 – Egg whites
• 150 g – Sugar
• 250 g – ground Almonds
• 100 g – powdered Sugar
• 25 g – Corn flour
• 1/2 cup – Milk
• Ingredients for Coffee Butter Cream
• 200 g – fine Sugar
• 1 tbsp – instant coffee
• 6 – Egg yolks, beaten lightly
• 200 g – Butter
- Mix the powdered sugar, ground almonds and corn flour together in a bowl.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff with a pinch of salt.
- Then add 150 g sugar and continue beating till they form soft peaks.
- Gradually fold in the almond mixture to get a fairly thick meringue like batter. Grease and flour 3 baking trays.
- Draw circles measuring 2 inches in diameter leaving some space between each circle.
- Using a tablespoon, spread the batter in each circle so as to make about 20 small pancakes on the baking trays.
- Bake each tray for 25 minutes or until the meringue discs are crisp and a pale golden colour.
- To make the coffee butter cream, beat the egg yolks, butter, instant coffee and sugar together till creamy. Leave in the refrigerator to cool until it reaches spreading consistency.
- To assemble the Tortes:
- Spread about 2 tablespoon coffee butter cream on 10 of the meringue discs, then gently cover with the remaining discs taking care not to flatten the butter cream. Dust well with powdered sugar and almond flakes on top and on the sides of each torte. Keep in the fridge until 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Recipe Courtesy: Anglo-Indian Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White