• Big Sour apples – 5
• Red Chilli powder – 200g
• Salt to taste
• Mustard – 1 tsp
• Gingelly oil or any vegetable oil – 150g
• Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
• Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
• Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fry methi seeds without oil in a kadai and powder them finely.
- Peel skin and grate apples finely.
- Place kadai on heat, add gingelly oil, let it become hot, then add mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Then add powdered methi seeds and saute.
- Now add the grated apple pulp and saute in oil. Let it lose water completely.
- Add salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well. Allow the mixture to form a thick paste and keep heating for 10-15 minutes.
- Add asafoetida and mix well for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- This will remain fresh for more than a month.
- This is a wonderful side dish for curd rice, dosa, idly, chapatti etc.
Recipe courtesy of Lalitha