• 2lbs/1kg approximately – lean ground lamb or Beef (or a mix of them)
• 1 – small onion, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup – finely chopped Parsley
• 1/4 cup – finely chopped Mint leaves (optional)
• 3 Cloves – garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 – green chilli, finely chopped
• 1 – beaten Egg
• 1 tbsp – Milk
• 1 to 2 tbsp – bread crumbs
• 1 tsp – white pepper
• 1 tsp – cumin powder
• 1/2 tsp – coriander powder
• Kosher salt to taste
• Lemon wedges, Parsley leaves, green olives, hummus, pickles and khubz or pita bread on the side
• 2 tbsp – Olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together other than the bread crumbs, milk, eggs, oil and garnishes.
- Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, bread crumbs and milk coarsely. Do not mix and mash too much.
- Add the egg-crumb mixture into the meat mixture evenly without over-mixing. This gives a semi-crunchy texture to the kebabs.
- Shape into 1 inch thick rolls and press skewers through them lengthwise, gently pressing the meat onto the metal and barbeque until meat is cooked. Smear with oil from time to time.
- Alternatively, press the roll flat (3-4 cm thick) onto a baking tray or grill pan. Grill on medium heat for 10-15 minutes on both sides, smearing with oil from time to time.
- Place kebabs onto a bed of salad (chopped lettuce, plain or roasted tomatoes and onion rings, pickles, olives, etc.).
- Spoon some hummus on the side along with some tempting lemon and khubuz wedges.
- Serve with some Laban (Ayran) as a side drink.
- Recipe courtesy: http://www.lilchefsworld.com/
Recipe courtesy of Lil’ Chef