Brinjal preparation stuffed with spices and fried in oil
6 small baigan (brinjal)
2 teaspoon red chilli powder
5 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon peeli sarson (yellow mustard seeds)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1. Wash brinjal thoroughly with water.
2. Make four equal slits resembling a plus sign, lengthways without halving them.
3. For the masala stuffing, mix together red chilli powder, coriander powder, peeli sarson, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and 1/2 tablespoon oil (You can also use oil from any pickle, for extra flavour).
4. Now stuff brinjal with the masala prepared above, if the masala is too dry, add some more oil.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadhai or deep sauce pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
6. Add all stuffed brinjal one by one and gently stir to mix well with oil.
7. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan and cook until all brinjal are tender and done.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes