• 3 large – red bell peppers
• 2 tbsp – Olive oil
• 3 – large Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1.5 cups – chopped Tomatoes
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 5 cups of Vegetable Stock / Chicken Stock/Water
• 2.5 cups of Rice
• 6 fresh Mint Leaves, snipped
• 6 fresh Basil Leaves, snipped
• Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- Broil the red pepper, until the skin is charred. Put the pepper in a bowl, cover with several layers of damp towels and set aside for 10 mins. Peel and slice thinly.
- Heat oil in a wide, shallow pan. Add garlic and tomatoes, and cook over gentle heat for 5 mins.
- Then, add the pepper slices and bay leaves. Stir well and cook for 15 mins more, again over gentle heat.
- Pour the vegetable stock into a large, heavy saucepan and heat it to simmering point.
- Stir the rice into the vegetable mixture and add the hot stock. Cook for about 2 mins, then add 2 ladleful of stock.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice.
- Continue to add stock, making sure each addition has been absorbed before pouring in the next.
- When the rice is tender, season with salt, pepper, mint and basil leaves.
- Remove the pan from heat, cover and let it stand for 10 mins before serving.
- Serve with: onion/cucumber raita.
Recipe courtesy of Lakshmi Sreevatsa