• 6 cups of water
• thick Tamarind paste 1.5 spoons
• urad dhal 1.5 spoons
• split peas dhal 1/2 spoons
• Coriander seeds 1.5 spoons
• Fenugreek – a pinch
• 2-3 small pieces of Cinnamon sticks
• Cloves 5-6
• 2-4 spoons of grated Coconut
• 10 dry chillies
• 2 medium sized onions(chopped)
• one big Tomato
• 1.5 cups of Rice
• 1/2 cup of toor dhal
• 2 pinches of Turmeric
• salt 2 1/4 spoons
• Mixed vegetables (like peas , carrot, beans, brinjal, potato, etc.)
- First fry the onions and keep it separately. Then fry the items in no 3 – 10 and make a thick paste of masala out of it.
- Now make a diluted paste of tamarind with 6 cups of water, now add all the vegetables, salt and turmeric, so that it is half cooked.
- Now add the masala to this mixture, allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, rice, toordhal.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes such that the stove is at it’s minimum heat, now add the onions and stir well and pressure cook it.
- That’s it. Garnish with coriander. Serve hot with potato chips or fryums. Add ghee (optional)
Recipe courtesy of Shyamala Ganesh