• 8 slices – bread
• 1 – green chilli, finely chopped
• 1 – onion, finely chopped
• 1 – tomato, diced
• 1 cup – buttermilk
• Seasoning: 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 2 tsp – oil
• 1 tbsp – Butter
• salt to taste
• 2 tbsp – chopped coriander
- Cut each bread slice into 9 small cubes.
- In a bowl, add the buttermilk to the bread pieces.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and mix well. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes until the bread softens.
- Simultaneously, heat a kadhai or non-stick pan.
- Add oil and mustard seeds. Let the seeds pop.
- Add the chopped onion and fry until it changes colour.
- Add the green chilli and tomato and cook until the masala looks reddish brown.
- Add the bread mix and stir well. Cook for a few minutes on medium-high flame.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter and stir in intervals on medium heat.
- Cook until some bits of the bread pieces turn golden and look toasted.
- Take the upma off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with tomato ketchup.
Recipe courtesy of Sandhya