• 5 – Brinjal (Medium Size)
• 2 – Onions (Medium Size)
• 5 – Green chillies
• 1 inch ball – Tamarind
• 8 – Curry leaves
• 3 – Red Chillies
• 100 ml (10 to 12 tbsp) – Sesame oil
• 2 tbsp – Bengal Gram
• 2 tsp – Coriander seeds
• Turmeric powder – a little
• Asafoetida – a little
• .5 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• Salt – as required
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the red chillies, coriander seeds, 1 tbsp bengal gram, and asafoetida until they become light red. Grind it to a powder and keep aside.
- Dice the brinjals in circular shape.
- Chop onions and slice green chillies lengthwise.
- Dilute tamarind in water.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and the remaining bengal gram and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Then add curry leaves, onion, green chillies, brinjal, and turmeric powder and sautee for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Then add salt and diluted tamarind water and cook until the oil rises to form a layer on top.
- Next, add the ground powder, cook for 5 minutes in low flame and remove from heat.
- Serve with Idli, dosa or curd rice.
Recipe courtesy of Visalakshi