Healthy Pasta made with broccoli, red pepper and garlic. This pasta can also be made with cauliflower in place of broccoli
2 1/4 cups dried pasta (orecchiette or penne or fusilli)
2 1/4 cups broccoli (or cauliflower florets)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese for garnishing (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Boil pasta in lightly salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, then add broccoli (or cauliflower) to the pasta pot and cook until tender, for about 4 to 5 minutes more.
2. Drain pasta and broccoli (or cauliflower), reserving a small cup of pasta water.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan, add garlic, pepper flakes and stir for a minute.
4. Add tomatoes and cook until oil separates.
5. Add the drained pasta and broccoli (or cauliflower) adding reserved pasta water as needed to keep it moist.
6. Garnish optionally with parmesan cheese and serve piping hot.