• 1 large head Broccoli
• 1 cup plain flour
• 1 tbsp gram flour
• 1 tbsp Corn flour
• 1-inch piece ginger, grated
• 1 flake garlic, grated
• 2 green chillies, chopped very finely
• salt to taste
• oil to deep fry
- Break broccoli into bit-sized florets. Put them into boiling water for a minute.
- Drain under tap water to cool.
- Pat dry with a clean cloth and keep aside.
- Put all flours in a mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients, except the oil.
- Make batter by adding enough water, so that it coats the back of a spoon.
- Heat oil to deep fry. Add a tbsp of hot oil to the batter and mix.
- When oil is hot and smoky, dip each floret into the batter and slip it into the hot oil.
- Repeat for as many florets as will comfortably fit in the hot oil.
- Deep fry, stirring once or twice, till the pakodas are crisp and golden.
- Drain and serve hot with ketchup or tomato salsa or even tamarind chutney.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering