• 2.5 cups – whole-Wheat pastry flour (or 1.5 cups whole Wheat flour plus 1 cup all-purpose)
• 2 tsp – baking powder
• 1/2 tsp – baking soda
• 1/4 tsp – salt
• 3/4 cup – Butternut squash puree
• 1/2 firm extra-firm Tofu blended into a smooth mixture with 1/4 cup of non-dairy Milk
• 1 tbsp – canola or other flavorless vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp – flax meal (ground flax seeds)
• 1 cup – turbinado or unprocessed vegan cane Sugar
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the butternut squash puree, blended tofu, flax meal, oil, and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed. Do not over-mix. A few lumps are okay.
- Spray a muffin pan with oil or line with paper liners.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes at 375 degree C.
- If you are using the large muffin tins, you will need to add 3-4 more minutes to the baking time. To ensure your muffins are Bake through, insert a toothpick in the centre. The toothpick should come out dry or with a few crumbs sticking to it.
- If it comes out with moist batter clinging to it, bake the muffins for a couple of minutes more and try the toothpick test again.
- Cool the muffin tin on a rack for 10 minutes, then pop out the muffins and continue cooling them on a rack.
- Recipe Courtesy: Holy Cow Vegan