• 2 tbsp – unsalted Butter
• 1 – medium onion, peeled and chopped
• 1- large Leek chopped
• 1 – Garlic pod peeled and chopped
• 1 tbsp – ground cumin
• 1 tsp – ground coriander
• 2 – medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
• 1 – large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 450 g – calabaza deseeded, peeled and chopped
• 5 cups – Chicken broth
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Hot pepper sauce
• Chopped Cilantro or Parsley leaves for garnish
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Sautee onion, leek, and garlic until soft.
- Stir in cumin and coriander. Cook for 1 min.
- Add apple, sweet potato, squash, and 4 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook partially covered until vegetables soften.
- Strain the broth into another container.
- Working in batches, puree the solids with a little bit of the broth in a blender. Whisk the puree back into the broth.
- Just before serving, whisk in the cream and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Ladle it into bowls and garnish each serving with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Sharada Reddy