• 1 litre – Milk
• 1/4 cup – rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
• 3/4 cup – Sugar
• 1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder
• 1/2 cup – water
• 10-15 strands – saffron, crushed and soaked in 1 tsp of warm Milk
• 10 – Almonds
- Crush the almonds coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat a saucepan. Put 2 tbsp of sugar and let it caramelise.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of water slowly and stir.
- Add the milk and bring to boil.
- Add the rice, stirring continuously, and cook until the boiling resumes.
- Put the flame on simmer, stirring the ingredients occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Allow the rice to cook fully but not get mushy.
- Add sugar, cardamom, saffron and almonds.
- Stir and put on simmer for 2 minutes. Serve piping hot.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering