• 150g – puffed Rice
• 250g – Chana dal (soaked for 4 hours)
• 3 green chillies, cut into small pieces
• 1 tsp – chopped Ginger
• 1 tbsp – chopped Coriander leaves
• 1/2 tbsp – chopped Curry leaves
• 2 medium onions, cut into small pieces
• 2 pinches of aniseed
• 2 tbsp – Rice flour
• Oil to deep fry
- Wash puffed rice thoroughly (to remove any fine sand particles) and squeeze dry; keep aside.
- Drain dal and make a coarse paste with a little water.
- Mix all the ingredients (except oil) thoroughly and prepare a tight paste.
- Make 1/2-inch thick vadas and fry in oil on medium heat to a nice golden colour.
- Remove onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil, if any (usually this vada does not absorb oil).
- Serve as a teatime snack.
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra