• 1 medium-sized – Cho Cho
• 1 tsp – Tamarind paste or tamcon
• 2 tsp – Urad Dal (black gram dal)
• 2 tsp Channa dal (Bengal gram dal)
• 3 red dry chilli peppers
• 2 tsp desiccated dry Coconut
• 1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder (hing)
• Salt to taste
• 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Cut the cho cho diagonally in half and remove the seed.
- Grate the cho cho.
- In a kadai or Dutch pot, add 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Lightly roast the channa dal, urad dal and the dry red chilli.
- Saute the grated cho cho separately for about 5 minutes.
- Now, grind the channa dal, urad dal, chilli, dry coconut and the tamarind paste to a medium consistency. Add salt to taste.
- In a Dutch pot, add 1/2 tsp of oil, and when the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds, and when it starts to crackle, add the asafoetida powder.
- Add this to the thuvaiyal and mix it thoroughly.
- Serve the thuvaiyal with hot rice.
Recipe courtesy of Radhika