• 1 cup – Chickpeas (chole)
• 2.5 inch – Ginger (3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish)
• 2 tsp – garlic, finely crushed
• 2 – Onions (chopped)
• 3 – medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
• 2 – green chillies, sliced | finely chopped Coriander leaves
• 2 tsp – ground coriander
• 1.5 tsp – ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – Garam Masala
• 1/2 or 1 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 2 to 3 tbsp – oil
• salt to taste
- Soak chole in water overnight for about 6 hours.
- Cook chole with salt and enough water in a pressure cooker for about 20 minutes or till fully done.
- Drain it, but reserve 1 cup of the remaining liquid.
- Finely chop the remaining ginger.
- Heat oil and saute onions till golden.
- Then add garlic, chopped ginger, and green chillies.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and chilli powder, and saute over a low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt, and half of the coriander leaves.
- Simmer uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add a pinch of garam masala.
- Serve chole sprinkled with the remaining garam masala, coriander leaves, and shredded ginger.
- Serve it with hot puri or bhatura.
Recipe courtesy of Venkat