• 2 cups – whole Wheat flour
• 2 cups – fresh grated Coconut
• 1 tsp – Cardamom powder
• 1 cup – Jaggery
- Add salt to whole wheat flour and knead to a stiff dough. Knead as much as you can to form a smooth dough and let it rest for 1 – 3 hours, covered tight.
- Heat the jaggery and make a one – thread syrup and remove from heat.
- Add fresh grated coconut and cardamom powder and cool.
- Knead the dough again for 10 minutes.
- Take a pinch, the size of a marble and roll it in a very thin circle, about 3 inches in diameter
- You may use maida for dusting while rolling.
- Take a tbsp of the cooled filling and place in the middle.
- Start pleating the edges and meet at the starting point, you will have a shape like a big top.
- Press together and twist slightly and start pinching off the top bulk to form a tear shaped modak.
- Lay separately on an oiled surface or butter paper and steam for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter.
Recipe courtesy of Deepa