• 8 slices – large sandwich bread
• 1 cup – Cream cheese
• 2 tsp – butter, softened
• 2 – carrots, coarsely grated
• 15-20 – French beans, steamed, cooled
• 1 cup – cabbage, shredded finely
• 1 – large potato, boiled and refrigerated the previous day
• 1 sprig – Spring onion greens, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp – mustard paste
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
- Grate the potato coarsely into a large mixing bowl. Add the carrots, beans, cabbage and spring onion greens and keep aside.
- Beat the cream cheese with mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add to vegetables, mix well and refrigerate until required.
- Place a slice of bread on the work surface.
- Evenly spread a quarter of the mixture on the slice.
- Place another slice over the mixture.
- Press the sandwich gently, butter lightly on the outer sides of the slices.
- Place in a hot griller toaster and grill until crisp and golden.
- Cut into smaller triangles or as desired.
- Serve hot and crisp with potato wafers, ketchup and salad.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering