• 4 – large Sweet Potatoes
• 1/3 cup – Butter
• 8 cups – water
• 1/2 cup – Tomato sauce
• 2 tbsp – half and half (dairy product)
• 2 tsp – salt
• 1/8 tsp – freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pinch – dried Thyme
• 1 cup – cashew halves
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake the sweet potatoes until soft (45 minutes).
- Remove the potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle. Then peel and place in a large bowl.
- With a large fork or potato masher, mash the potatoes for 15 to 20 seconds (they do not need to be mashed smooth).
- Spoon the potatoes into a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in butter, water, tomato sauce and half and half. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir in cashews and mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the cashews are soft (50-60 minutes).