• 10 – karelas, medium size
• 2- onions, medium, thickly sliced
• 1/2 cup – raw mango, finely sliced
• 1/2 tsp – Amchoor powder
• 1/2 tsp – Sugar
• salt to taste
• 1/2 tbsp – chilli powder
• Oil for deep frying
• 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Jeera
• pickle oil (optional)
- Wash and peel karelas lightly and rub some salt and keep aside for four hours.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry karelas till they become deep brown.
- Spread on paper towel for it to soak all the oil.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok (mango pickle oil is preferred); add fennel seeds, sugar and jeera.
- Now add onions and saute on high flame, stirring constantly.
- Add the raw mango and stir fry.
- Add the remaining spices and cook for about 2 minutes. Make sure the onions don’t get mushy.
- They should remain crisp and half cooked.
- Take a serving bowl and spread the fried karelas in that and spread this mixture on top.
- Serve hot with chapati and dal.
Recipe courtesy of Nidhi