• 2 – Cucumbers
• 1/2 tbsp: methi/fenugreek seeds
• One tablespoon till/sesame seeds
• 5-6 dry Red chillies.
• 2 tbsp – Mustard Seeds
• Few curry leaves.
• Few sprigs of Coriander leaves finely chopped.
• One pinch Asafetida.
• One cup fresh grated coconut.
• A little oil for frying.
- Wash and peel the cucumber well. Cut one into cubes and finely chop the other cucumber.
- Dry roast the – methi seeds, sesame seeds, dry red chillies, asfoetida, coconut, and one spoon of mustard seeds. Do not add oil to this. Just heat the wok and fry them for one or two minutes.
- Switch off the stove and transfer the dry roast ingredients into the mixer. Add the cubed cucumber to the mixture.
- Blend finely adding just a little water at a time. Note that the cucumber already has water but if you want chutney to be slightly watery, you may add it a little at a time to get the desired consistency. Do not add too much water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the other half of mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add the curry leaves and the ground masala paste.
- Add some of the finely chopped cucumber and give it all a good mix in the pan for a minute or two Take care not to burn the masala.
- Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and the remainder of the chopped cucumber.
- The crunch of the raw cucumber in the spicy chutney paste makes this dish simply delicious
- You may serve it as an accompaniment to dosa or idli or mix it with hot rice and eat.
Recipe courtesy of vidya