• 120g – self-rising flour
• A pinch of baking powder
• 1/2 tsp – salt
• 1 – egg, beaten with a fork
• 150ml – water
• 100g – shelled Prawns
• 50g – Bean sprouts
• 1 – large onion, chopped
• 2 stalks – spring onions, chopped
• For the chilli sauce:
• 4 – fresh Red Chillies
• 1 – Shallot
• 1 pip – Garlic
• 1.5 inch – Ginger
• 2 tbsp – Tomato sauce
• Sugar and salt to taste
• 2 tbsp – white or artificial Vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients for the chilli sauce in a mixer and grind smoothly.
- Add water to get a semi-thin consistency. Keep aside for 1 hour before serving.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl except the prawns.
- Heat oil in a saucepan for deep frying.
- Dip a metal ladle into hot oil for 1 minute.
- Remove the ladle and scoop up some batter. Press in a prawn in the centre.
- Deep-fry until the cake turns golden.
- Loosen the cake from the ladle with a small knife.
- Drop the cake into hot oil again and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Drain in absorbent paper and serve with chilli sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Sudha Mohan