Dal Makhani is very popular recipe from the Punjab State of India. Not only in Punjab but its very famous recipe and widely cooked and eaten in North India and other states. Dal Makhani is very rich, creamy and little spicy dish. Dal Makhani is made from black gram, kidney beans which are rich in calories and healthy too. So let’s learn how to make a restaurant style Dal Makhani at home.
– 1 cup soaked whole black gram (Urad Dal)
– 2 tablespoon soaked red kidney beans (rajma)
– 3 cups water
– 1 tablespoon oil
– 2 tablespoon butter
– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1 inch piece of Cinnamon stick
– 2 cloves
– 1 teaspoon ginger paste
– 1 teaspoon garlic paste
– 1 big sliced onion
– 2 cups tomato pur?e
– 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
– 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1/4 cup cream
– Salt to taste
– 3 green chillies, slit
– Coriander leaves, for garnish
How To Cook?
1. Soak the whole black gram and red kidney beans in water for overnight.
2. Now, drain the excess water from soaked whole black gram and red kidney beans and pressure cook it in 2 cups of water with salt till it completely cooked and becomes soft.
3. Now, in a deep frying pan heat the oil and butter and then add cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds when they begin to change the color add green chillies, ginger paste and garlic paste and saut? it for 2-3 seconds.
4. Now add onions and mix it well and cook it until it turns brown.
5. Now, add tomato puree and simmer it for 3-4 minutes.
6. When the oil starts separating from the tomatoes, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to it mix it well.
7. Now, mash whole black gram and red kidney beans slightly and add it to the tomato and onion mixture. Also, add water inside and mix it well.
8. Simmer it for 10 minutes, then add cream in it and mix it well.
9. Switch of the flame and transfer this dal to the serving bowl.
10. Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Preparation Time: Overnight
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes