Fresh curd raita with doodhi and spices
1 cup curd
1/2 cup grated ghiya or lauki (bottlegourd)
2 green chilies chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon rock salt
Pinch of black pepper powder
Red chilli powder to taste
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Beat curd with salt until smooth.
2. Peel and grate lauki. Steam cook lauki, over low heat, in a kadhai covered with a lid, until tender, for about 5 minutes.
3. Mix steamed doodhi, green chillies, rock salt, black pepper powder, red chilli powder into the curd.
4. Now to prepare tadka take a small sauce pan and heat ghee, add asafoetida, cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
5. Remove from heat and mix the tadka in raita.
6. Garnish with coriander and serve.