Dum aloo delicacy without onion and garlic, made with poppy seeds
1 kg baby potatoes
Oil for deep-frying
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup curd
2-3 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
2-3 tablespoon poppy seeds (soaked in water for half an hour)
1 piece cinnamon stick
2-3 green cardamoms
6 whole black pepper
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 dry red chilli
1. Soak all the dry ingredients for the paste in little water for 5 minutes.
2. Grind poppy seeds along with the above soaked dry ingredients, to make a smooth paste.
3. Scrape the potatoes, prick all over with a fork and soak in the water with little salt for 20 minutes.
4. Dry the potatoes with the help of a cloth.
5. Heat oil and deep fry potatoes until golden brown, remove and set aside.
6. Heat oil in another pan.
7. Add kasoori methi, tomato puree and fry for 5 minutes.
8. Add poppy paste and fry until oil separates.
9. Add turmeric powder and fry for 1 minute.
10. Add red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Fry for 1 minute.
11. Add curd and fry for 2 minutes.
12. Add just enough water to make thick gravy.
13. Add potatoes and boil for 10 minutes so that potato soaks in the gravy.
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes