• Long brinjals- 2
• Onion-1, medium size
• Tomato-1, medium size
• Ginger- 1-inch piece
• Curry leaves – few
• Turmeric powder- a pinch
• Tamarind- lemon-sized
• Green chillies-2
• Vegetable oil- 1 tbsp
• Ghee- 1 tsp (optional)
• Salt to taste
• For seasoning-
• Mustard seeds-1 tsp
• Urad dal- 1 tsp
• Hing- a pinch
- Soak tamarind in half a cup of hot water and extract the juice. Cut onion lengthwise, tomato into 4 pieces, and chop ginger finely.
- Cut brinjals vertically into medium-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai and season with mustard, urad dal, and add curry leaves, turmeric powder, and hing.
- Put slit green chillies and ginger, and then add onions. Let it become transparent.
- Now add brinjal and saute for few minutes till brinjal becomes a little soft.
- Now add tomatoes, and after a minute pour the tamarind extract. You can add salt now. Let it boil well and become a little thick.
- Now remove from fire and add a spoon of ghee for good smell and close it.
- Serve hot. This tastes great with murumuru dosa (crispy dosa), idli, or rava upma.
- Storage time- Best if it’s fresh but can be stored in a closed container and refrigerated. Reheat and serve again.
Recipe courtesy of Sanjana