• 8-10 small rounded firm Brinjals
• 3 medium onions, very finely chopped
• 3 tbsp – roasted groundnuts, powdered coarsely
• 3 tbsp – grated fresh Coconut
• 1 tsp – black or other Garam Masala
• 1 tsp – each chilli powder, Dhania powder
• 1.5 Sugar
• salt to taste
• 2-3 tbsp – oil
• 1/2 tsp – each mustard and Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp – garlic-ginger paste or grated
• 1/4 cup – Curd
- Wash and the clean brinjals. Make 2 slits to form a cross. Leave the stalks intact. Drop them immediately into cold salt water.
- Mix the onions, coconut, all dry masalas, curd, ginger-garlic paste, well and make a smooth filling. Stuff some of this mixture into each slit of the brinjals.
- Heat oil in a heavy or non-stick pan, add the mustard, cumin seeds wait to splutter, slide in the brinjals slowly.
- Cover with remaining mixture.
- Add 2 cups water. Simmer on low, covered till done. Stir once or twice in between.
- Cook till brinjals are tender to touch.
- Serve hot with wheat or jowar chappatis.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi