• 1 cup – black Channa or Channa dal
• 2 – Red Chillies
• 1 tsp – Jeera
• For seasoning:
• 1 – large Onion chopped
• 2 – Green chillies chopped
• 5 or 6 – flakes of Garlic (optional)
• 2 – stems of Curry leaves
• 1 tbsp – Channa dal
• 1 tbsp – Urad Dal
• 1 tsp – Jeera (cumin seeds)
• 1 tsp – rai (mustard seeds)
- Soak black channa or channa dal overnight and drain it.
- Grind it into a coarse paste (Add red chillies, jeera and salt to taste before grinding).
- Pour this paste into a shallow vessel and steam for 10 minutes or until cooked. (Once done, it should not stick if you dip a fork in.)
- Allow to cool and separate with a fork to loosen the mixture.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and add channa dal and urad dal. When they begin to turn brown, add jeera and rai to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, chopped onions and chopped green chillies.
- When onions are cooked, add garlic flakes and the steamed mixture.
- Mix and leave them on flame for moisture to evaporate and also for garlic flakes to cook. It should be dry in consistency.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi