• 4 Onions (thinly sliced)
• 3 tbsp – Butter
• 4 tsp – all-purpose flour (maida)
• 2 Bay Leaves (Karuka ela)
• 1 tsp – salt
• 1/2 tsp – black pepper powder
• 4 cups – vegetable stock or water
• 2 bread slices
• 40g – cheese (grated)
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Fry the onions till they become golden brown while stirring continuously.
- Add flour while stirring and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, bay leaves and black pepper powder and simmer for half an hour.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Cut the bread slices into half and cover with the grated cheese and grill until the cheese melts.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with the bread slice floating.
- For veg stock:
- Cook chopped onion, carrots, garlic and celery in a pressure cooker. Once done, turn off the gas. Strain using a strainer. Use the liquid for making soup.
Recipe courtesy of Shilpa terrence