• 6 – carrots, peeled
• 1 – small raw papaya, peeled
• 100 g – Green chillies
• 3 inch – ginger, peeled
• 3 – Garlic flakes, peeled
• 100 g – dried dates, deseeded
• 1/2 bottle – white Vinegar
• 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 2.5 tbsp – Mustard Seeds
• Salt to taste
• 1 tsp – oil
- Slice carrots, papaya and ginger (separately).
- Marinate carrot and papaya in 2 tsp of salt for 2 hours.
- Marinate ginger in 1/2 a tsp of salt separately as above.
- Drain liquid and put on a clean cloth to dry in the sun for 2 hours.
- Slit chillies, rub with a little salt and vinegar.
- Heat oil. Add chillies and ginger and stir fry for few seconds. Add vinegar.
- Cover and keep aside to cool.
- Pound and husk mustard seeds coarsely.
- Add to pickle with turmeric powder.
- Add the dates and mix well.
- Store in a clean, sterilized jar.
- Allow to mature for 2 days before using.
- Serve as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering