• 1 cup – Toor Dal and moong dal (mixed)
• 2 – large Tomatoes
• 1/2 cup – water
• 6 – Green chillies
• A few Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp – rasam powder
• 2 pinches – Asafoetida
• 1 – Ginger
• 1 – Lemon
• Salt – to taste
• To Garnish:
• 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1 tbsp – Ghee
• A small bunch of coriander
- Pressure cook toor dal and moong dal.
- Then in a heavy bottom vessel cut the tomatoes into quarters, slit the green chillies, smash ginger and add 1.5 cups water.
- Add salt, curry leaves and asafoetida. Bring to boil.
- Wait till the liquid reduces to 1/4.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the cooked dal and mix well (add more water if required).
- Add to the liquid and simmer for a few minutes for it to froth.
- Squeeze lemon and add the juice to the rasam.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, add mustard, remaining cumin seeds and allow to splutter, add it carefully to the rasam.
- Add finely chopped coriander.
- Check and add salt if required.
- Keep aside covered for 10 minutes before serving.
- Mix well and serve hot as a soup or with steaming hot plain rice and papads.
Recipe courtesy of Sowmya