• 1 kg – gooseberries
• 700g – Sugar
• 1 liter – water
- Cut gooseberries into segments, discard seeds. Put water to boil with half sugar.
- When syrup gets sticky, take off fire, and cool.
- Add amla pieces, making syrup covers them all.
- Keep aside for 24 hours.
- Drain syrup, add 100 gms sugar.
- Bring back to boil and make syrup as before.
- Drop back amla pieces into it, after cooling.
- Soak them, keep aside for 24 hours.
- Drain syrup, add remaining sugar, boil again as above.
- Cool, add amla pieces, soak into the syrup, keep aside for 5 days.
- Drain pieces, sun dry on a mesh, till sugar crystallises.
- When sugar is not sticky any more, store in airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering