• 2 cups – basmati Rice
• 2 cups – green peas/mutter (shells removed)
• 2 – medium sized sliced Onions
• 2 – carrots, cut into medium sized pieces
• 1 to 2 – chopped Green chillies (take as per taste)
• 1 tbsp – chopped Garlic
• 1 tbsp – chopped Ginger
• 1 tbsp – Cumin seeds
• 1 to 4 – Cloves
• 2 to 4 – Cardamom pods
• 1 to 2 – Cinnamon sticks
• 2 tbsp – oil or Butter
• salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes after draining off all the water.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan, fry cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms for a while until they splutter.
- Grind the garlic and the ginger to a very fine paste.
- Add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and fry for about 1-2 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Add the drained rice, peas, carrots and fry till a nice fragrance emanates.
- Now add one to two cups of water and let the rice cook properly (Never add more water, if required more water can be added later).
- Stir gently once in a while so that the rice does not burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Garnish with the fried onions.
- Serve with raita or any type of curry.
Recipe courtesy of Shilpa