• 500 g – khoya
• 125 g – plain flour
• 1/4 tsp – baking soda
• 1/4 cup – Milk
• 1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder
• 1 pinch Saffron strands
• 250 g – Sugar
• Ghee to deep fry
- Crush the khoya. Sieve in the flour and soda together.
- Mix in the cardomom powder and crushed saffron.
- Mix well to form a soft dough. Use as much milk as required for kneading.
- Make balls of even size. Makes about 25-30.
- Heat the ghee very well. Take off from the fire and cool a little. Let in some of the jamoons.
- When they rise up put back on fire and fry till medium brown.
- Remove from ghee and put in the syrup. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a glass bowl.
- Repeat for all the balls. When done pour the remaining syrup over the jamoons.
- Microwave lightly or warn over boiling water before serving.
- To make the syrup:
- Take the sugar in a heavy pan and add water to just cover the sugar.
- Boil and add a tbsp. of milk to separate the dirt. Strain and boil again.
- The syrup is done when, while dropping from a spoon it falls in a thin single thread.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi