• 2 tsp – Ghee / oil
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds (jeera)
• 1/4 tsp – Hing (asafetida)
• 1/2 cup (100 g) – moong dal (split yellow dal)
• 1 – green chilli, slit lengthwise
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – salt (or to taste)
• 1.25 cup (250 ml) – water
• 2 tsp – chopped Coriander leaves (optional)
- Wash and soak moong dal, in 2 cups of water, for half an hour. Drain out the water.
- Heat oil / ghee in a pressure cooker, on a low heat. Add jeera (cumin seeds) and fry on a low heat, until fragrant and light brown in colour.
- Add hing and stir well, on low heat.
- Add drained moong dal and fry, for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add green chilli and turmeric powder. Stir well for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and 250 ml water (1.25 cups). Close the pressure cooker and cook on high heat, for 3 whistles.
- Switch off the heat. Allow the cooker, to cool naturally.
- Open the lid and gently mash the boiled hing dal.
- Sprinkle ghee (optional) and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
- Recipe Courtesy: Niya’s World
Recipe courtesy of Niya