• 2 cups – Flattened Rice (poha)
• 2 – green chillies, slit lengthwise
• 2 – Potatoes (medium, finely chopped)
• 2 – Onions (medium, cut lengthwise)
• 1 – Tomato (large, finely chopped)
• 1/4 cup – groundnuts (fried in oil till they change color)
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1 tsp – ajwain/carom seeds
• 1 tsp – Sugar
• Salt to taste
• Oil for cooking
• Coriander leaves, chopped fine (for garnishing)
- Put the poha in a sieve and wash under running water for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and sugar to the poha, mix well and keep aside.
- In a pan or kadai, heat oil and add ajwain seeds.
- When they start crackling, add green chillies.
- When green chillies start changing colour, add sliced onions.
- When onions become translucent and change colour, add potatoes and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, tomatoes, fried groundnuts and salt and mix well.
- Cover with lid and let the potatoes cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir the ingredients well and add poha.
- Mix all the ingredients well and stir to blend. Adjust salt.
- Stir gently every now and then for almost 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with tea or coffee.
Recipe courtesy of Pratibha Singh