• 4 cups – white flour
• 1/2 tsp – baking powder
• 1 tsp – salt
• 1/2 cup – Milk
• 1 tbsp – Sugar
• 1 – Egg
• 4 tbsp – oil
• 1 tsp – Kalonji (Nigella seeds)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Mix the milk, sugar, egg and 2 tbsps of the oil in a bowl.
- Pour this into the centre of the flour and knead, adding more water if necessary to form a soft dough.
- Add the remaining oil, knead again.
- Then cover with a damp cloth and allow the dough to rise for 15 mins.
- Knead the dough again, cover and leave for 2-3 hours.
- About half an hour before the naan is required, turn on the oven to the maximum heat.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls and set it aside for 3-5 mins.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with the kalonji and put in the oven.
- Shape each ball of dough with the palms to make an oval shape.
- Put it on the kalonji and bake the naan until puffed up and golden brown. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi