• 2 cups – Urad Dal
• 2 tbsp – gram flour
• 2 cups – Sugar
• 1 cup – water
• A few drops – food colour
• Ghee for deep frying.
- Wash and soak dal overnight.
- Remove the skins of the dal.
- Grind to a very fine paste, using minimal water, till light and fluffy.
- Add colour, gram flour, mix well, keep aside for 3-4 hours.
- Make sugar syrup of 1.5 thread consistency, from sugar and water.
- Keep aside, till required.
- Fill batter into a imarthi nozzle bottle, or in a thick cloth with a tiny hole at centre.
- Hold cloth like a pouch.
- Heat ghee in a flat bottomed, non-stick frying pan.
- When smoky, reduce flame, make a circle of batter, and pipe oval ring like petals on its outside.
- It should look like a round hollow centre, with petals all around.
- Repeat for 2-3 depending on size of pan.
- Fry on medium heat till crisp.
- Remove drain well and put into hot syrup.
- Drain, keep aside on mesh to remove excess syrup.
- Cool completely before storing.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering