• 150g – tur dal, boiled and mashed well
• 10-12 Garlic cloves, husk removed and crushed roughly
• 1 tsp – cumin/jeera
• 10 to 12 Curry leaves
• 1 tsp – chopped Coriander leaves
• 1 tsp – oil/ghee
• A pinch of Asafetida/hing
• A pinch of Turmeric powder/haldi
• 6 red chillies, broken into pieces
- Add salt, haldi and 300 ml of water (or a little more) to mashed dal and boil, stirring continuously.
- Meanwhile, heat oil/ghee, add all the remaining ingredients except coriander.
- Fry till the seeds splutter and garlic is light brown in colour.
- Add to the boiling dal, sprinkle coriander, stir and remove.
- Serve this mildly spiced kattu with hot plain rice and papad.
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra