A famous Kashmiri delicacy, very rich and sweet Pulao, full of fruits and nuts
2 cups basmati rice
1 cup milk
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon
1-2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
3-4 strands (1 gm) saffron (kesar)
3 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup chopped mixed fruit
1/2 cup fried diced paneer (cottage cheese) (optional)
2-3 rose petals (optional)
1 tablespoon (25 gm) cashew nut
1 tablespoon (25 gm) raisins
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice thoroughly with water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Mix milk, sugar, salt and saffron dissolved in little warm milk.
3. Heat ghee in a pan.
4. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves and allow it to crackle.
5. Add rice and fry for 2 minutes.
6. Pour the milk mixture over rice.
7. Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer until rice is tender and cooked.
8. Mix in the drained fruits and fried paneer cubes, stirring very gently.
9. Cover with lid for another 5 minutes. Garnish with cashewnut, raisins, finely broken edible rose petals.
Cooking time: 25 minutes