• Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
• Urad dal – 3 tsp
• Red Chillies – 4 (according to your taste)
• Tamarind paste (from Lemon sized tamarind, boiled in water)
• Salt to taste
• Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
• Big Brinjal (Eggplant) – 1
• Asafoetida, 3 pinches
• Curry leaves – A few
• Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Let it splutter.
- Add red chillies.
- Bake the brinjal in oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Turn each side of the brinjal while baking.
- Let it cool.
- Keep it in cool water for 2 minutes.
- Remove the outer layer of the baked brinjal.
- Mash it with hand and grind it in the mixie along with the above mentioned seeds and tamarind paste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add hing powder and curry leaves.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Rajeswari