• 3 cups – plain flour
• 1 cup – Milk
• 2 tbsp – extra Milk
• 1 tsp – Sugar
• 3/4 cup – Ghee
• Salt to taste
• A few Saffron strands
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp warm milk. Keep aside.
- Sift together flour and salt. Sprinkle sugar.
- In a large bowl, add melted ghee and add the sifted flour.
- Add milk a little at a time and knead dough.
- When it forms a soft smooth dough, cover with moist cloth.
- Keep aside for 2 hours, knead, then set aside again for 2 hours.
- Knead again, divide into 7 parts.
- Rub saffron strands in milk to dissolve.
- Place an inverted heavy iron pan on lower shelf of oven.
- Keep the grill on upper rack. Preheat to 250 degrees centigrade.
- Use dry flour for dusting while rolling.
- Roll out thick round about 6 inches in diameter.
- Prick with fork all over. Slap onto pan base.
- Allow to bake till brown spots appear.
- Move to grill with tongs.
- Dip fingers in saffron milk and splash on sheermal.
- Keep in oven for a few more seconds.
- Or, bake in traditional tandoor or in inverted pressure cooker.
- Remove and serve hot with gravies, curd, pickles or jams.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering