• 12-14 – Dates (khajoor), the moist variety and with the seeds removed
• 2 tsp – Tamarind paste
• 50 g – Jaggery (or enough quantity to neutralise the sour taste of tamarind)
• 1/2 tsp – salt
• 1 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1 tbsp – Jeera powder
• 1 tbsp – Dhania powder
- Boil the dates for 15 to 20 mins in water just enough to immerse the date seeds.
- Allow the boiled dates to cool and put them in a mixer.
- Add tamarind paste, salt, red chilli powder, jeera powder and dhania powder.
- Grind into a fine paste and pour it into a ceramic container (do not use steel or metal utensils).
- Add the jaggery and dissolve it into the mixture. (Make sure you use the right amount of jaggery or the chutney will become very sweet).
- Serve the chutney with samosa, batate vada or use in ragada patties.
Recipe courtesy of Nivedita