• 1 cup – gram flour
• Pinch soda bicarb
• 1 tsp – hot oil
• Salt to taste
• Oil for deep frying
• 1 stalk – Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 2-3 pinches – Turmeric
• 3 pinches – citric acid, powdered
• 1 tbsp – broken Cashewnut pieces
- Sift flour, salt and soda in a bowl. Add enough water to make a thick batter. Add hot oil and mix.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan till smoky.
- Hold flat perforated spoon over oil and pour some batter.
- Tap edge of spoon to drop in droplets of batter.
- Hold spoon in centre, the boondi will move to the sides.
- Sweep back the remaining batter into the bowl.
- With another perforated spoon, move around boondi for even frying.
- When crisp and whitish remove from oil, drain on kitchen paper.
- Clean spoon and wipe dry for the next round.
- When all the batter has been used, add cashew to oil.
- Fry to a light golden, drain and add to boondi.
- Hold stalk of leaves with tongs and dip into oil.
- When bright and crisp, remove, cool and crush lightly. Add to boondi.
- Sprinkle salt, citric acid, turmeric and chilli powder over boondi.
- Mix well with both hands. Check for taste.
- Cool before storing in glass jars.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi