2 cups whole meal (wheat) flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water for kneading
1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds (carom seeds) (optional)
Oil or Ghee (clarified butter) for applying
1. For the dough, sieve flour and salt together. Add carom seeds, little water at a time and knead into a medium dough.
2. Leave the dough for 20 minutes by covering it with a moist muslin cloth.
3. Divide the dough into small balls of equal portions. Roll each ball into a shape of round roti (5 to 6 inch diameter).
4. Apply ghee on one side and with the help of a knife make 2 inch cuts lengthways to form equal strips on the round roti.
5. Place all the strips one above the other with ghee or oil between each layer.
6. Press it lightly and fold into a spiral.
7. Apply a little dry flour and roll it into a full-sized paratha.
8. Apply ghee and cook until both sides turn golden brown and paratha is done.