• 1 kg – lamb or mutton, cut into small cubes
• 1 cup – curds / yogurt
• 1 tsp – Ginger and Garlic paste
• 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 2 tsp – chilli powder
• 1 tsp Garam Masala powder or all spice powder
• 2 Onions sliced
• 2 tbsp Tomato paste or Tomato puree
• 2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
• 10 or 12 bamboo sticks or thin skewers (4-inch in length)
• 3 tbsp oil
• Salt to taste
- Marinate the meat with a little turmeric powder, salt and a little curd/yogurt for one hour.
- Heat oil in a suitable vessel and saute the onions for a few minutes. Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder / all spice powder, chopped coriander leaves, tomato paste / tomato puree, remaining curd and salt and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile pass the bamboo sticks / skewers through the marinated meat.
- About 5 pieces should fit on each stick.
- Place the sticks of meat in the curry that is boiling.
- Close the vessel and simmer on low heat till the meat is cooked.
- Serve without removing the sticks with white steamed rice and a coriander or mint chutney.
- Recipe courtesy: Anglo-Indian Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White-Kumar