Rich and spicy red lentil soup
1/4 cup masoor dal (red lentils) (soaked in water)
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 cup diced carrot
1/3 cup finely chopped celery or coriander leaves
2 cups water
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoon tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 pinch nutmeg powder
2 teaspoon oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pan, add fenugreek seeds and stir fry ginger – garlic paste for a few seconds.
2. Add onions and fry until onion is tender.
3. Add lentils, carrots, and celery or coriander leaves into the pan.
4. Stir in water, coconut milk, and tomato puree.
5. Season with garam masala powder, red chilli powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils and carrots are tender.
Cooking time: 45 minutes