• 250 g – Rice
• 250 g – black gram dal
• 2 – Green chillies
• 1/2 – Coconut
• 1 – small Onion
• handful of sliced Coriander leaves
• a few pieces of Tamarind
• salt and chilli powder to taste
- First wash and soak rice separately in water for about 6 hours, and then drain out the water and grind the rice and dal together to a smooth and fine paste.
- Add coconut and tamarind and grind rice again till all of it becomes smooth.
- Mix minced onion, chillies, coriander leaves, salt and chilli powder.
- Add enough water to form a thick batter. Grease either idly katories or small round katories nicely with ghee or oil and fill the katories about 3/4ths full.
- Steam till the idlies are firm, or until a toothpick or a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Steam again till the idlies turn completely solid. Remove and serve hot with seasoned curd.
- Idlies can be prepared in pressure cookers.